Saturday, November 3, 2012

What A Friend


That person who’s there for you no matter what. Did someone come to your mind? Sure, friendships come and go, but we all have a least one person that never left. As Proverbs 17:17 says, “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.”
Read 1 Samuel 18:1-5.
                After David killed Goliath, Saul (Jonathan’s father) became very jealous and angry. Saul sent Jonathan and his officers to kill David. However Jonathan loved David and warned him of his father’s plans. When Saul came after David, Jonathan helped David escape and hid him. Jonathan risked not only his life, but also his father’s respect when he stood up for David. Jonathan proved to be a loyal friend, loving David as himself.
Take the time to reflect on who your loyal friends are and thank God for their presence in your life.
                Not only has God blessed us with friends on earth, but He also calls us His friend. John 15:15 says, “Servants don’t know what their master is doing, and so I don’t speak to you as my servants. I speak to you as my friends, and I have told you everything that my Father has told me.” When we have friends, how do we maintain the relationship? Do we talk to them? Spend time with them? Get to know them better? God desires this intimacy and conversation in our relationship with Him.
However our relationship with God is much greater than friendship. As Romans 5:10 says, “Even when we were God’s enemies, he made peace with us, because his Son died for us. Yet something even greater than friendship is ours. Now that we are at peace with God, we will be saved by his Son’s life.” In our friendships, we make sacrifices because we want to please the other person. We care about their well-being and therefore sacrifices aren’t a burden, but a joyful act. Jesus’ death on the cross reflects how deeply our Creator is in love with us.
Reflect on your relationship with Christ. Is it a friendship? Then, please end in the prayer below or a prayer of your own.
Dear Father, Thank You for always being there for me in my time of need and thank You for being my friend. Lord, I pray that You open my heart to this friendship between us. Allow me to speak to You as I would a best friend and allow me to carry You wherever I go. In Your Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this song! I was filled with so much light and joy just reading this as the song played. It took me back to the time when I first heard it playing on Music Choice television. I was in a stuck and rough time at my parent's house. I was struggling to be grateful in lieu of the baggage between me and my family. As I think back I had a handful of friends who would call me every once in a while to check on me and just talk with me. Those are the things that one can take for granted when things are going okay, or even when those same friends are not face to face with us.

    ReplyDelete