Friday, November 16, 2012

Remembering Gratitude


“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”- Oprah Winfrey
“Each one of you is a part of the body of Christ, and you were chosen to love together in peace. So let the peace that comes from Christ control your thoughts, And be grateful. Let the message about Christ completely fill your lives, while you use all your wisdom to teach and instruct each other, With thankful hearts, sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs to God. Whatever you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, as you give thanks to God the Father because of him.” Colossians 3:15-17 (CEV)

                It’s that time again; a time to stuff yourself, a time to give, a time to receive, a time to reflect on what you’re thankful for. Thanksgiving at my house consists of the typical turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and my grandma’s pumpkin pie. Once our plates are overflowing with food, we go around the table and say what we’re thankful for, just as many do. I’ve always liked the thankfulness aspect of Thanksgiving, being able to reflect on how blessed I am. However beyond Thanksgiving I’ve come to find that I don’t always thank God as I should.
                When large positive changes occur in my life, I thank God, I praise His name. I found out I received a hefty scholarship for my study abroad trip just last week. I recognized that God had provided this financial support for me and ultimately thanked Him for such a blessing. However when the daily stress and running around pull me down, I don’t always thank God. I am blessed in so many aspects of my life, yet I am still seeking how to live my life in a way that reflects how thankful I truly am.
Read watch the following video. Take the time to thank God now.

                       Sometimes we get so caught up in the schoolwork, jobs, relationships, or personal issues that we forget to think of what we already have. We start to take valuable things in our lives for granted because we’re so used to having them. Consider the quote below.
“I Am Thankful For…
… the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
...the taxes I pay because it means that I am employed.
...the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.
...my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.
...a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means that I have a home.
...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.
...all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.
...my huge heating bill because it means that I am warm.
...the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means I can hear.
...the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.
...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive.
...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.” –Unknown Author

                Go get a piece of paper (yes, right now) and write down 25 things that you are grateful for. Hang the paper somewhere you will see it daily, such as on your door, where you leave your keys, etc. I want you to continuously look at this note throughout your day and maybe even add onto it in the next couple of weeks. After a month or two, look back at the note and think about if you’re still thankful for the things on your list and how these things have influenced your life.
                Please end in a prayer of your own or the one below.
                Dear Gracious God, There are so many things in my life that I have failed to thank You for. I often take advantage of all of the blessings in my life and instead focus on all the negatives. Move in me so that I can constantly seek You, that I can constantly reflect on all the goodness You’ve placed in my life. I thank You now for all You have done for me and will do in the future. In Your Name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable. Just before this, I was complaining to God about a paint that just won't go away. I was asking him to please say something to me. To please talk to me. I clicked on the link, and it lead me straight to this passage about being grateful for what I have. Now I know for sure that God is listening to me and that he knows exactly what I need to see and hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this! It's so great and mysterious how God works, isn't it? I was really stressing out today actually and as I was looking on Facebook I saw something that said, "Relax, your problems are in my hands now -God." It's great to be reminded that we worship a creator that is always looking out for us, always trying to point us in the right direction.

      Delete