Sunday, October 28, 2012

Having Jesus Fever


Please read the excerpt from page 142 of Francis Chan’s “Crazy Love” book.
“As I said before, my wife’s grandma Clara offered a real-life example of a person consumed with Jesus. I once attended a play with my wife and some of her relatives, including Grandma Clara. During intermission, I leaned over and asked what she thought of the play. She said, ‘Oh honey, I really don’t want to be here right now.’ When I asked why, she replied, ‘I just don’t know if this is where I want to be when Christ returns. I’d rather be helping someone or on my knees praying. I don’t want Him to return and find me sitting in a theater.’”
When I read this story, I was so thrown off by Grandma Clara’s response. There are so many times during each day that I waste in front of the television or on social media outlets, yet I don’t always consciously think about how much time I’m taking away from God. What would God think if He returned and found me updating my latest status? Would I be proud of that? Would He? Grandma Clara raises some questions about who we should be as Christians.
Read the following Bible passages: Matthew 16:27, Matthew 24:36-39 and Mark 8:36-38.
In his book, Francis Chan says that Christians need to be obsessed with their relationship with God. We are called to love Him with all our heart, all our soul, and all our strength; therefore He must become the focal point of our everyday life. 
Think about the number of times you pray every day and now think about how long those prayers last. Are they prayers that are cut off because you’re falling asleep in the middle of them? Are they prayers that are mumbled quickly before you scramble to class? The importance of prayers isn’t necessarily about the amount of time spent, but rather the amount of surrender put into it. When we take time out of every day and set it aside for God, and only God, we are showing Him that we care about our faith relationship.
Spending time with God shouldn’t be a chore, nor should it become something done out of habit, but rather you should look forward to it. When you fall deeper in love with Christ, you want to talk to Him and you want to spend time with Him.
Please listen to the following video and reflect on your prayer life.

End in a prayer of your own or the one below.
Dear God, I haven’t always followed You as I should. I ask You to open my heart now as I take the time to offer my gratitude for all You have done in my life and have yet to do. I want to fall deeper in love with You, Jesus. I want my every decision to be based on You and I desire Your input in every aspect of my life. I love you, Father, and I thank You for never giving up on me. In Your Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment