Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Love Story Through Prayer


Before I became closer to God, whenever I heard someone say that prayer had power, I just shrugged my shoulders. Sure, I prayed every night before bed, the quick, falling-asleep-as-you’re-talking kind, but I never really saw results. Prayer was more of a routine that I went through rather than something truly significant. 
It wasn’t until I came to college that I started praying not as a routine, but as a desire. Falling deeper in love with Christ allowed me to see my prayer life in a new light.
This week I realized how much I have grown and still need to grow in my faith. A few posts ago, I discussed how I planned to go to Australia, but was denied acceptance into the schools (“Plans Change, But His Love Doesn’t” blog post). Well, I had finally come to terms with the fact that I wasn’t going in the spring. Last Sunday night, I began to look through my schedule, trying to figure out how to rearrange my courses. After I had finished, I began to pray, telling God that I trusted Him and if this wasn’t my time to go, then I could accept that. As I prayed, I felt my heart opening and letting go to Christ, two actions that had always been difficult for me. The next morning I received a voicemail from the study abroad office, saying that I needed to call them as soon as possible. When I called back, I was told that a spot opened in one of the schools and they wanted me to take it. I couldn’t believe it.
Every time I have a heart-to-heart with God, I’m always astonished by how magnificent He truly is. It was the timing in this situation that just floored me because I knew that God had heard my prayer. He was teaching me to trust Him, a virtue He knew I needed to learn.
Please watch the following video. Reflect on how you pray. Do you pray out of routine or out of love for Christ?

Please read Job 35:9- 14 and Matthew 6: 5-15.
           Prayer is necessary to following Christ. If you think your faith is lacking or you want to grow, talk to Him. When we pray because we love Christ and because we want to speak to Him, we will find that that prayer is the most rewarding. God doesn’t care where you are, if you’re in class or in your room or even hanging in a tree because He desires that connection with you. The God of the universe wants you. He is the greatest being and doesn’t need any of us, yet He still desires us. Please end in prayer.
Dear God, You are almighty and merciful. I ask you today to change my heart and allow prayer to become a vital part of my life. Through this prayer, teach me and guide me in Your ways. Help me to fall deeper in love with you, God, so that I can understand the importance of prayer. Through every day, remind me of Your presence so that I never waste a moment away from You. In Your Name, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on that opportunity, Erin! And thank you for the thoughts. I don't have much to really share or add to the discussion necessarily (as it pertains to prayer) but I am thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was far from God, I walked in a little Church and said "God, I don't know how to talk with you - its been so long." Then I opened up The Book of Common Prayer (written prayers for all kinds of occasions - I still have a copy of this book on my shelf) and just started reading these prayers. I would find one and then say -- yea this is what I am feeling right now -- then another -- then another. It was cool to think that Christian had written these prayers so others could pray them too. I pray all the time now; just running informal conversations with God; but I still like to read the prayers of Christians or even Biblical people like the Job reading here. They touch me and move me to think more about what I am feeling and then turn that feeling into a prayer. Right now I am looking at the Prayers of Soren Kierkegaard. He wrote these in his journal. They are a window into his heart and relationship with God and they also connect me to my heart too. That can be the power of reading written prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I find that another person's written thoughts or actions are similar to mine, it really makes me reflect on how significant we are individually. Every action we make, especially written down, can truly impact someone else in ways we never expected. I should invest in a book of prayers. It sounds very beneficial!

      Delete