Sunday, September 23, 2012

What If it's Love?


Honestly, last week was a battle. Sitting in a tiny room, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I listen as my American Labor and Unions’ professor brings up politics. I expect books to be thrown at someone’s head at any moment, but the class remains calm. Then, somehow religion became the focus and I’m suddenly awake. In the heat of the discussion, one girl remarks that Christianity is dying and when the older generation is gone, it won’t be important anymore. It broke my heart to hear my peer say this.
I don’t know that ‘dying’ is the correct word, but Christianity is in decline in America. A 2009 CNN poll showed that 75 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians, compared to 1990 when the number was 86 percent. Statistics also reflect that as children grow older, they begin to leave the church. In one study by America’s Research Group, “95 percent of 20 to 29-year-old evangelicals attended church regularly during their elementary and middle school years… And by college, only 11 percent were still attending church.” This decline may be because children are brought to church by their parents, but once they reach college, young adults are independent and have the choice to participate in church. But the important question is why are they choosing not to participate?
Take a moment to think about any non-Christian friends or peers that you know. What are some reasons that they have decided against Christianity? What stereotypes about Christianity force these people away?
                After having this issue on my heart, I felt angry and uncertain about the Christian movement around me. I felt like the people around me viewed me as a foolish individual who was a part of a dying movement, a dying faith. In attempt to find some reassurance, I called my boyfriend and told him the story. He replied, “You aren’t stupid for having faith. You're the one that has the light, and those people don’t, so they don’t understand what you have. They just don’t understand.” And I knew he was right.
                As Matthew 5:14-16 says, “You are like a light for the whole world. A city built on top of a hill cannot be hidden, and no one would light a lamp and put it under a clay pot. A lamp is placed on a lampstand, where it can give light to everyone in the house. Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and will praise your Father in heaven” (CEV). God wants us to bring His people closer to Him, but that starts with love. One of my favorite quotes by Anais Nin is, “You cannot save people. You can only love them.” God saves souls, but humans can't. We only have the power to love people and show them what Christ’s love truly is. Forcing religion down people’s throats isn’t what Christians are about, but instead reflecting Christ’s light onto those around us.
               Please prayerful consider who may need your love on campus, or even at home. God created you to reflect His love and grace, so why not love those around you? We need to consider what non-Christians are saying about Christianity and change those perceptions. And that can only start with us living like Christ and truly loving those around us.

9 comments:

  1. All it takes is one courageous person to inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryn, it's so crazy that you're talking about courage because I was just about to write the next devotional on that subject! God definately calls us to be courageous and stand up for our faith when when the odds are against us.

      Delete
  2. I have had similar experiences in my college career thus far. In my Sunday school class we actually discussed the declining rate of church attendance for teens who graduate from high school. It is so sad to realize this fact. Our focus was on apologetics, but love absolutely has power in this situation! Many people are pushed away from Christianity because they don't see the love displayed by the "church." Some people claim to be Christians, but are actually false converts, giving an inaccurate view of true Christianity. This is a great reminder of the importance of displaying Christ's love to the world, knowing that we are the salt of the earth, while showing this with meekness and humility. I think it is one of my most difficult challenges in my Christian life. I want people to know all about Christ, but I have to be sure that I am not coming off as being self-righteous because that is also unloving. Your boyfriend is right in what he said to you. The ones who don't know Christ cannot fully understand and they look at Christians as being weird. Well, the Bible does say we are a peculiar people, but we know it's a good thing. Thank you for posting this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, I absolutely agree that as Christians we need to be mindful of how we come off to those around us. There are so many non-Christians that have stereotypes about Christianity because of their individual experiences. And we can't fix their hurtful experiences with Christians, but we can create new, positive ones for them. Above all, we must spread God's love.

      Delete
    2. I was talking to a pastor yesterday who was discouraged too; one of the things I reminded her of is for us to look at history -- everytime the people of God start abandoning the faith God brings a renewal movement about. This has often started in College. Martin Luther's renewal movement started in a University; John Wesley's Methodist great awakening started in Oxford with less than a dozen people; St Fransis started by just making a personal decision to imitate Jesus as closely as he could in all situations. Christian renewal doesn't start with being concerned about what non-christians think; but by Christians getting their eyes focused on Christ and then a firm resolve to imitate Him. When people see that it is inspiring and appealing.

      Delete
  3. I read this book, How God Changes Your Brain, and a good portion of it touches on people's perceptions of God. The authors don't pry too much into the roots of these perceptions as much as they look at them more scientifically.

    The view of God is a matter that affects the person's entire state of being so much so that it does not necessarily matter about his or her spiritual disposition but rather how well the brain functions; and the brain is the controlling center for the human mind and all actions flow out from its activity furthermore. There is a vast sum of determining factors that affect belief systems. After all, human beings are so complex anyway. That goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of Paul's encouragement to "put on the mind of Christ."

      Delete
  4. I think a major thing that drives people away from Christianity is the fact they view Christians as hypocrites. They can't see God's love when Christians are judging others. I have met several friends on campus who are non-Christians, and from my experience, most of them just want proof. They have never had their own experiences with God, they've never had that moment when you just know... not because your parents believe in Him, not because its what you're taught to believe, it's because you have a moment in your life where it's just you and God. I think a major factor is that at college, teenagers are learning to actually think for themselves. They take advanced science classes that make there seem like there is "proof" that there is no God. As I came into this school year, all I've tried to do is be that Light. Ever since Church Camp, I pray every single day to be that Light and to spreads God's love, because there really is a shadowing that is going on and there needs to me a new movement..people need to experience, see, and know God's love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I agree. How can we possibly expect people to want to know Christ when we ourselves aren't fully committed to Him? It shows them that our faith doesn't mean much to us and it isn't worth pursuing. Spreading God's truth comes through letting God work through us, reflecting His light.

      Delete