Saturday, December 1, 2012

Uncovering the Darkness

Please listen to the following video. As you’re watching, imagine that the singer asking if God can love her, not another human being.

                Kelly Clarkson has always been one of my favorite singers; her strong, powerful voice always pushes through melodies like it’s nothing. The song you just listened to is one of her newer songs, which is based on the situational problems people face, or rather their “dark side.” The underlying theme of the song is the need for acceptance, even when it’s not deserved. Even though the song seeks others’ acceptance, it comes close to the same kind of acceptance we ask of God.
                How many times do we look at ourselves and wonder how God could continue to love us? As Clarkson’s lyrics say, “Will you love me?/ Even with my dark side?” Everyone has a part of them that they keep from others, that they guard secretly inside themselves, but how much do we try to cover up those faults?
Please read Job 22:12-14.
                God can see every part of us, what we do, where we go, and who we are. As He watches us from Heaven, we can’t hide from Him. Does this scare you?
                The filth and grim each of us carries doesn’t only show who we are, but shows who God is. Even though we have dark sides, unlovable parts of ourselves, He still calls us His own. So when we ask God, “Will you love me? Even with my dark side?,” He says yes.
                Keeping in mind all that God does for us a daily basis, we should reflect on how grateful we are in response. Do we thank God for His forgiveness? Do we take advantage of His written word? Do we take time out of our schedule to talk to Him?
Please read Job 35: 9-10.
                When we are hurt or need support, it can be easy to come to God for help. However when we are content, do we seek Him out? This week I would like you to reflect on whether you are showing God gratitude for His love. Please end in a prayer of your own or the one below.
Dear God, Despite all I have put You through, You continue to love me. Despite all the times I have forgotten You, You have never forgotten me. Despite every inch of filth in my heart, You continue to call me Your own. I take the time now to thank You for all You have done for me, and will do. You are so holy and so faithful, God. I’m sorry for all the time that I wasn’t faithful to You. I seek Your love, but most importantly, I strive to become more grateful for all You have given me when I deserved nothing. Thank You, Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment