Monday, August 4, 2014

Trials by Veronica Willimas


“ And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.”  1 Peter 5:10
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Scripture Application: All throughout my 2013-2014 college year, I found myself dealing with a lot of trials. Self-pity, depression, angry, passive-aggression, and biggest one of all; doubt. My troubles with doubt caused me to sink into a whirlwind of negative outcome and at one point it even drove me to physical harm. I knew what the cause of this was. I had stopped letting God be in control of me. Instead of letting God be that loving guidance and protector, I convince myself to think that I was it. It wasn’t until the beginning of summer (the summer break that is in progress right now!) when I decide let my savior be in control again. Now, I find myself happier and healthier and I can only thank God for that. Whenever life throws trials and tribulations our way, we always have to remember that God is with us. His loves and forever-flowing mercy is always shining through us. With him on our side, nothing on this earth can or will weight us down

Prayer:  Desert Song by Brooke Frazier
This is my prayer in the desert
And all that’s within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me, Lord, through the flames

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

And this is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on it’s way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I’ll stand

All of my life, in every season
You are still God, I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I’m filled to be emptied again
The seed I’ve recieved I will sow

By Brooke Fraser, Copyright 2008 Hillsong Publishing (Admin. in U.S. & Canada by Integrity’s Hosanna! Music)  

More for Reflection: Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 5:3 

Question for Comments:  What were some trials you have faced, and how did you overcome them?
Please add your comments, life stories or questions to continue the thought for this week.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your reflection, Veronica -- that sounds like a lot to experience at one time, but it's good to hear that you've come through, as many of us could also say we have, finding God faithful to manage such trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my college years to now has been a long series of God teaching me to open my hand -- to live with an open hand. This means for me to stop fighting my way through life -- to trust God is going to get me though every situation no matter how difficult it may be at the time. I was not very good at this -- its been a long journey but I am more quick to wait on God now than I have ever been in my life. What peace and joy this way of being in the world is; its worth the refining fires we go through to get to this way of being with God. But without those refining fires, we cannot to get to this point. It is hard to see the trials as means of grace; but that is just what the cross teaches us. "Take up your cross and follow me," Jesus says. My reply was often, "Does it have to be a cross? I don't like how a cross feels." He still says -- "Follow Me !"

    ReplyDelete