Thursday, March 6, 2014

Me Less † God More

Lent is marked by the sacrifices we make between now and Easter. From church to my home, the holiday has always been a tradition in my family. However, between decisions of giving up chocolate or meat or GameBoy time, I think I became lost in what this tradition really meant.

Sure, when I gave up chocolate, it was hard to contain. Those deserts (always with chocolate) called my name the day after I chose my Lent sacrifice. Being the stubborn, perseverant person I am, I usually made the entire 40 days without taking even a nibble of a Hershey bar. But this still was not the point.  

Please listen to the testimony of talented and adorable Bailee Madison.


Part of taking up our cross is humbling ourselves and as Bailee said, not being prideful. It’s not about us, but rather about how great God is.

What is something in your life that is getting in the way of your faith journey?

Please read Matthew 16:21-28.

Lent is the time that we sacrifice to come closer to God. When we give up something that we struggle with, it is important that if or when we fail, we fall back on God.

This Lent season I have decided to give up worrying. Just thinking of this word makes me, well, worried because I know how much it has held me back from being the best person I can be. When the worrying begins, however, my plan is to pray or refocus my heart. Through this season, I want to grow in my faith.

Don’t go through the motions. Give up something in your life that is holding you back from being a better steward of God. He knows your heart and He can’t wait to show you what He can do with it. 

Take a moment to pray about what God would like you to work on in your life. 


*** Featured Cross Image by JR Woodward

No comments:

Post a Comment